|Title:||Fab Lab Instructor|
|Full-time or Part-time:||Full-time|
|Salary Range:||$19.08 per hour|
|Education and-or Experience:||Strong techno/training skills; BA, AA, Industry cert. w/ min. 2 yrs exp. in: electronic circuit ops, design/prototyping; working knowledge of 3D printers, CNC, laser & vinyl cutter operation; must have some mechanical understanding of machine ops|
|Education and-or Experience II:||& repairs. Exp. with/working knowledge of Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, CAD or 3D drawing software, MS Office, C & Python. Exp. developing projects & working in a Fab Lab or “maker” environment a +. Must be people oriented.|
|Branch or Department:||The Dorothy Lumley Melrose Center for Technology, Innovation & Creativity|
|Location:||101 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL 32801|
Requirements: Strong technology and training skills; BA, AA, Industry certification with at least 2 years of experience in the following areas: electronic circuit operations, design/prototyping; working knowledge of 3D printers, CNC, laser cutter and vinyl cutter operation; must have some mechanical understanding of machine operations and repairs. Experience with or working knowledge of Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, CAD or 3D drawing software, Microsoft Office, as well as C and Python. Experience developing projects and working in a Fab Lab or “maker” environment are also a plus. Must be people oriented with technology and training experiences and ability to teach to various ages and audience.
Must be available to work a flexible schedule including weekends and evening shifts. Minimum one weekday evening shift until 8:00 p.m. and Saturday shifts.
The successful candidate will also possess: Excellent written and oral communication skills; excellent customer service skills; energy and enthusiasm for the job and the mission of the Library; ability to function independently in a multi-tasking situation, as well as function as part of a team; ability to solve practical problems; ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written and oral form and apply to the training content.
Perform duties to plan and conduct Fab Lab, or similar “maker” environment, related workshops for customers and staff in a collaborative learning environment. Provide customers with technical and software assistance in Fab Lab and Simulation Lab equipment. Collaborate as a subject matter expert with library instructional designers to develop and deliver related curriculum for adults, kids and teens. Maintain Fab Lab and Simulation Lab equipment. Work within the limitations of standard or accepted practice; uphold the Library System’s mission and values in the pursuit of all duties; respect for the individual, our organization, and the community, excellence in everything we do, and integrity in our actions with others, while providing excellent customer service to all internal and external customers.
- Conduct training through learner-centered instruction for the public and for staff on Fab Lab and Simulation Lab equipment and STEM related curriculum such as engineering and electronics. Make customers aware of and provide training on equipment and software available. Assist with scheduling of training programs. Assist customers and staff to sign up for workshops. Prepare sign in sheets and completion certificates and manage attendance and cancellation issues in accordance with policy.
- Assist Instructional Technology Specialists to design class instruction through the development of instructional plans to meet workshop competencies and the development of activities which support learning objectives.
- Responsible for the operation and quality of Fab Lab and Simulation Lab equipment during usage by customers. Assist customers in the usage of the Fab Lab and Simulation Lab equipment. Operate 3D Printers, laser cutters, other Fab Lab equipment and Simulation Lab equipment. Take direction from customers and participate in the creation of the prototypes and usage of Lab equipment.
- Perform basic troubleshooting routines including resolution of problems, loose connections and rebooting systems as required. Set up equipment as required, including patching cables when needed. Check Lab equipment for proper functioning prior to use. Report the need for more critical maintenance or repair requirements when equipment malfunctions.
- Monitor computer equipment designated for training and public access. Perform start up and/or shut down activities and ensure that area is properly maintained and that all required materials and supplies are available.
- Communicate and enforce computer use policies and Library rules of conduct. Communicate fees and collect and process receipts through cash register.
- Maintain and communicate knowledge of the Library’s collection, equipment, policies and procedures, programs, events and activities, use of electronic resources and changes in the Library System. Prepare schedules, notices or ads for offerings related to the Library’s electronic resources and training programs.
- Track, maintain, and report on any range of information or statistics as required. Document and refer significant issues to manager.
- Perform or assist with any system operations, under direction to maintain work flow.
- Attend and participate in a variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies.
- Monitor customers in the Library and remind them of Library policies as required to ensure that the resources of the Library are fully accessible to all customers.
- Maintain work area in a clean and orderly condition. Ensure safe operating conditions within area of responsibility. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Tools and Equipment Used:
Cash register, LCD projector, Smart Board, designated software, and common office equipment.